Saturday, November 23, 2013

It's been a long time...

The last couple months have flown by...maybe I'll make it my New Year's resolution to keep this blog more up-to-date.

Sooo, quick confession: I am not as good at being a stay-at-home mom as I thought I would be.  After two months of it, I was starting to go a little crazy.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kid...more than anything...but 24/7 was just getting to me a little bit.

I think that going from full time work and daycare to full time mommy-daughter time was a bit rough on both of us.  Just as I was used to being around other adults all day (and participating in actual two-sided conversations), Addy was used to being around other kids all day (and having different toys and activities to keep her busy and stimulated).  So, we decided to do something for each of our best interests.  We put her in daycare two days a week.

Since Ad has started her part time daycare...there has been a huge difference.  We are both less whiny, and I think it's fair to say that we are both much happier.  While she's gone, I have been cleaning and cooking up a storm.  I have actually started making things that are on my Pinterest food boards.  I can run to the grocery store, and if there's no parking when I get back, it's not a big deal.  I can handle a few blocks with the bags of groceries as long as I don't have to juggle Addy along with them.  I've been able to spend daycare time doing all the chores that were making my days with her less fun.  Now our time together is more quality time.  It's been really nice.

Many people have seemed surprised when they hear that we've made this change.  Wait...you don't work, yet your daughter goes to daycare?!  A couple people have even commented on how much it must cost...especially if they know how tight we are with money.  Here's the deal.  I think we have become almost-experts on weighing the pros and cons that every possible financial decision could bring.  When we sat down to figure out how much the daycare would cost, and realized it's basically the same as what most people "need" to pay in cable TV and smartphone costs, it was a no-brainer.  My sanity is worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment