Thursday, August 23, 2012

Any Day Now

The time is drawing near. 
17 days from now is Addy's due date...so really, it could be any day now.  Eeeeeeek!

I've been thinking a lot about work lately.  Things like: will I want to come back after maternity leave?  I'm sure that I will come back, but will I want to?  Maybe.  Maybe I'll be so happy to come back to my typical routine that I'll want to come back early!  So many questions that I dont, can't, know the answer to yet.

I've always been a little sad that there are so few women where I work.  I always felt like some of us young-uns could really benefit from a powerful, positive, woman-in-the-workforce kind of role model.  While I'm sure still that's true, lately I've been realizing, I've got plenty of role models here already.

See, where I work, the majority of staff falls into the middle-aged-guy bracket.  There are several men that have daughters around my age, some of whom are grandparents already, etc.  While this sometimes leads me to feel I'm being spoken to like a child, it far more often means I feel I'm being spoken to like a child of THEIRS...which is totally different.

It has been so fun to have some of these men sharing their own fatherhood stories, from the delivery room to grandchildren.  They joke about how their bellies are about the same size as mine ("I think you've got me beat now!" one said with a laugh, once I hit about month seven).  And to have them asking me questions about Addy: if her nursery is ready, is Tim excited, if I think I'll be making it to the office the following morning, etc.  I can tell they're geniunely interested - not just in what I provide for the company, but in my actual life...what happens to me and mine.  It's really nice.

Man, I need this kid to get here - one day I'm super pumped about getting out of work for two months (but who wouldn't be, right?), and the next day I'm reflecting on how much I like working here - I can't handle the roller coaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment