Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thoughts on Pregnancy: Months 1-3

I had a plan for how this would go.

I knew that if Tim and I were blessed with the opportunity to be biological parents, I would do my absolute best in caring for that little blessing right from day one.
I would eat only organic, hormone-free grass-fed meat, extra fruit and vegetables...just really load on the vitamins and minerals that our little one would need for superb development.  No sugar, limited grains and dairy...I would be the picture of health, and this kid would be in all AP classes, starting in pre-school.

I found out I was expecting at right around 6 weeks. 
We were pregnant! 
We were going to be parents! 
I was...going to be...sick.

My very well intended 'plan for superb development' got scrapped...I traded it in for what I would now call my 'plan for basic survival'.  As I ran for the bathroom for the 7th time in a day, I would think to myself, well kid, you're going to have to rely on genetics now...let's hope you get the best of each of our brains. 

The only thing that would stay down was carbs.  Most grains and one or two types of fruit.
My meal-plan looked like this.
  • Breakfast: dry cereal
  • Lunch: a peanut butter sandwich
  • Dinner: didn't really matter.  I don't think a dinner stayed down for 3 months
  • Snacks: maybe a 1/2 cup of watermelon, maybe some saltines or pretzels

Tim has been amazing during the whole pregnancy, but those first few months he achieved superhero status in my book.  My main job was making sure the couch didn't blow away (turns out I'm really good at it).  Tim did all the laundry, dishes, absolutely EVERYTHING.  He is so great and has done an excellent job taking care of me.  Love, love, love.

I hated feeling so useless...but now that I think about it, Tim should have been thanking me for helping him brush up on his time management skills.  See, I AM contributing!

1 comment: